Property Name: Sidi Sahab Zawiya
Inventory No: 216-7-7
Date of infill of the inventory form: 2008-02-28
Country (State party): Tunisia
Geographic coordinates: 35° 40′ 54.89″ N
10° 5′ 25.25″ E
Year of Construction:
Original Use: Zawiya, Tomb
Also known as the Barber’s Mosque, th building contains the tomb of one of the companions of the Prophet Muhammad died in 685 and a madrasa built between 1629 and 1692. The zawiya is notable for its magnificent decoration that dates to the 19th century mostly. The tomb has beautiful tiled decoration and a dome with stucco ornament.
vi. to be directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance
State of Preservation
The original mausoleum was a simple dome surrounded by a wall. On this site, the bey Hammud Pasha (1040–75 / 1631–65) built the zawiya and erected a madrasa, (1072 / 1662). Between 1092 and 1096 (1681–1685), the bey Muhammad ibn Murad renovated the dome of the mausoleum.
Jervis, Paola. “Kairouan.” Environmental Design: Journal of the Islamic Environmental Design Research Centre 1-2 (1989): 36-53.
Piemontese, Angelo Michele. “Anciens monuments sur l’eau selon Tarsusi.” Environmental Design: Journal of the Islamic Environmental Design Research Centre 1-2 (1997-98-99): 137-143.